Monday, 26 March 2012

Hubble Bubble...

Air pump arrived & the airstone was installed on Sat 24th. It's cleared the surface"scum", and will give some gentle circulation. I added a pouch of Barley Straw, which the dog then fished out & disembowelled when I wasn't looking!! It's been repaired & is now tethered to a stone so it is submerged, which'll stop him getting his paws on it!!

Also noticed that some of the tadpoles have hatched!! Hopefully a few more sunny days will give them a good start...

D

Thursday, 22 March 2012

A breath of fresh air needed...

The surface of the pond has gone a bit manky - bubbles & what I assume are dust particles have made it look awful. I assume it's because of no water movement, have bought an air pump & will be putting an airstone in today hopefully. That should do it. Later on, if required, I can always just run it at night to cut down on evaporation...

Will update later....

D

Sunday, 11 March 2012

Spawn!

Picked the spawn up today. It's in the shallows where it catches the sun....


Friday, 9 March 2012

Looking Good

The water has cleared & I can now see the sandy bottom of the pond. Plants seem to be settling too.



My boss's frogs have spawned, I'm going down to his on Sun 11th to pick some up. He's got 2 ponds, a wildlife & a fish one, he's giving me spawn out of the fish one as it'll have a 100% better survival rate - his fish eat all the tadpoles once they hatch!!

Getting excited!! It'll be nice to see some larger life in the pond. I'm going to get another bucket of water from the Cow Pond, just to make sure there are enough beasties etc. to seed the pond fully.

D

Monday, 5 March 2012

New Beginnings....

Unfortunately Ratdog Harry got a bit excited one night and fell in the pond whilst woofing at a cat. This stopped being amusing the next day when I found that he'd taken some of the slate edging in with him & created a slow puncture. The pond was losing about an inch a night.

I looked but couldn't see anything anywhere, and then my plants arrived (apart from the 2 floaters which will arrive later)!! I decided to drain the pond & get a new liner. This was done and on Saturday (3rd March) the new liner was installed & the pond filled. The next day the plants were added, along with a bucket of pond water from the cow field (the plants had shrimps, snails and leeches on them too). The edging is better balanced this time & the dog shouldn't be able to dislodge it!! I think he's learned his lesson as he's not keen on going near the pond.


I've left a longer edge on the liner so that once the patio area is finished I can fix it so that any run off doesn't go into the pond. The bog garden has been planted too. Water is a little cloudy from the gravel on the beach area, despite rinsing there was still muck on it. That'll clear soonish.

My boss says his pond is full of frogs, so once they lay I shall be getting some spawn!!!

D